Saturday 25 April 2009







One of the things I really would like to get better at is story-boarding. I had the advantage of having a character already prepared (Helvis) for Kathy's project which presented a number of possibilities for song titles. I had looked at a few Elvis tracks and in particular Blue Hawaii which really captures the Tiki vibe I wanted for his Island in Limbo. I have begun a series of thumbnails for this based around the idea that Helvis would be singing to a mermaid on a rock that performs a kind of hoola dance in silhouette, as the song ends it is revealed that the "mermaid" is actually a washed up bit of old driftwood brought to life by the kings imagination! I did however end up going in a different direction and came across the Album "Fiends of Dope Island" by "The Cramps" this summed up for me images of lost souls meeting to hang out before they face the final judgement and one song in particular conjured up a crap load of imagery I could have fun boarding as Helvis performs on stage. one problem I did experience was how to lead up to the action so I decided to follow a character as he arrives on the island via the trans-dimensional portal in the stone effigy of Helvis. He fails to chat up a girl and ends up loosing his eye balls! the girl was originally designed by Mike and was to good a character to pass up, Cheers Mike hope you don't mind. The beginning isn't as flowing as it could have been as I was just getting into my stride but I think it all irons out as it progresses.

No comments: